Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Habit Rotation

I begin to watch another episode of Law & Order Special Victims Unit from season six (which is where I last stopped watching it on  Hulu Plus), a show I have not watched in at least two to three months, and I realize that I have a rotation of habits and it's getting on my nerves.

I go through these cycles of things I do almost obsessively and then just drop like a hot potato for days, weeks, months at a time...only to return to them eventually.

The cycle includes watching beauty YouTube videos, of which I'm super tired and can barely stand at the moment, Judge Judy episodes, the aforementioned Law & Order episodes, cell phone and Facebook games: Words of Wonder, Scramble with Friends, Words with Friends, Candy Crush Saga, Ruzzle, Hanging with Friends, just added Quiz Cross (which I super-suck at but haven't stopped playing yet), blah, blah, blah. I am never into all of these things/games at the same time, but when I'm into them, I'm REALLY into them and it's annoying.

I know the end is near - it's got to be - for all this nonsense and distraction, because I recently committed to DAILY bible-reading, which I'd been slacking on for a very, VERY long time. I find that when I do it in the morning, I'm less stressed at work. This is important because work is my one and only cause of health-affecting stress; I've allowed things that happen there to quite literally make me physically and emotionally sick, and that's not cool.

I'm currently in Hebrews and what I love about this and the previous nine books is that they constantly remind me of how I am to behave, and of the rewards that come from living and doing the will of God.

I also find that I'm able to read the bible for longer periods of time if I read the NIV version; King James and New King James put me to sleep within three minutes. I should have realized this sooner because the last time in my life where I was super-addicted to bible reading and really loving the Word, I was reading the NIV version...until someone stole my NIV Study bible from my car in a Wal-mart parking lot. I still refer back to King James when I'm not sure about the translation of the NIV text; it can sometimes sound unbelievable to me so I need to go back and make sure. It's been checking out so far:).

I long for the day when writing, worshiping God and bible-reading are my ONLY habits/addictions. It's coming...I know it is.

Until next time,

XOXOXO - Jessika



No comments:

Post a Comment