Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Weird


This past Sunday night, the weirdest thing happened. I was found and contacted on Facebook by a friend I have not seen or heard from since I was quite literally in the SIXTH GRADE! She posted a comment on one of my photos saying, "Remember me? You still look the same." This person was one of two twin sisters that were like six years older than I was who used to hang out with my best friend (at the time) and me - and they spoiled us rotten!

I can honestly say that I don't have the slightest memory as to how I even MET these girls, though I believe I met them when I was in fifth grade. For whatever reason, they liked me and took me and/or my best friend at the time everywhere. It was through these girls that I first discovered the wonder that is/WAS Diet Coke (though these days, if/when I really want a soda, I prefer Coke Zero Cherry), and it was through one of these girls that I first found out that some women don't need to wash their hair every day! This was after spending like eight hours in a salon with her where she was getting some braids done; the technician asked her when she last washed her hair and when she said something like "weeks ago," my jaw dropped! LOL! I was completely dumb to these things and was washing my frizzy dry hair every day.

Anyway, these girls took us out to eat, to the movies, everywhere - and I believe we either walked or took the bus because I don't think they drove...at least, I don't remember if they did...and it was these girls who took me to see Coming to America in the movie theatres - TWICE! LOL!

Anyway, what made this sudden contact extra weird for me is the fact that I was JUST thinking about them about a month prior and was set to look for them when I realized that I didn't remember their last name...but as I write, I'm getting a fuzzy memory in the back of my mind that it might have been Williams. I don't know...

What was also weird is that when I asked her how she found me, she said she found my mom first and that she was able to do that because she remembered that my mom's last name was E*********...at first I was all like, "Oh, cool, OMG!" But after we signed off of Facebook, I started to get suspicious like I always do about just about any and everything...the thing is, at the time that we were friends and hanging out and all that awesomeness, my mom's last name was the same as mine at the time: R****. The E name was my mom's maiden name and as far as I know, this old friend had no reason to know that my mom got divorced and went back to using her maiden name...hmm! I was going to bring this back up to the old friend but I thought it would make me sound like a jerk, so I refrained.

Anyway, though I don't remember how I met these girls, and I remember having a ball with them when we were friends, I also remember why the friendship ended. See, I had a crush on a boy who was about three or four years older than me, which made him a few years younger than the girls. I actually remember his name, too: George Wilbur. Oh, he was so beautiful - though I don't think that I'd recognize him on the street if I saw him as his face to me is now a blur. Sigh. I remember he was thinking about changing his last name to something French; the French name escapes me, but I think it belonged to one of his other family members. Anyway, on the night that I KNOW he was going to ask me to be his girlfriend, my best friend's little sister somehow got in the way and botched the whole thing for me. Shortly thereafter, one of the twins started to date my beloved George. And I think after a while there was talk about them getting married. I don't remember whether the friendship ended before or after talk of marriage came into the picture, but I remember that my heart was utterly broken.

Isn't it amazing the things we remember about our childhoods? I don't care about what happened back then as far as why the friendship ended. The fact that one of them would actually still think about me and remember me and make the effort to contact me after all of these years is pretty darn awesome! It feels good to know that some of the people who have impacted and/or touched your life in some significant way can feel the same way about you.

When we're young, we do and say things to ourselves and others without really thinking, not realizing how those things can leave a mark in another human being years later. Now that I'm older, I'm realizing how important it is to treat people you know with kindness and respect. That way, if/when you part ways, the memories you'll leave them with will be positive ones. And maybe, one day, you'll meet again and be able to pick up where you left off: On a POSITIVE note.

Until Next Time,


XOXOXO


Mrsmorphosis

No comments:

Post a Comment