Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Sister and Fave TV Show

My sister and I had a conversation yesterday that made me feel closer to her than I've felt in a very long time. Not because of any real "issues" we've had in the last few years, though we had some issue or another with each other when we were growing up, and pretty much for most of our lives. The last few years, however, we haven't had any major issues to speak of - that I can recall anyway:). However, simply put, she and I live very seperate lives. She's married with four children: a two year old, 11 year old, 12 year old and 15 year old, and she lives in VA. Needless to say, her family keeps her very, very busy and she barely has time to think, let alone have a conversation with her sister:). I'm nowhere near as dedicated as she is, but my husband, our three kids and I have a pretty busy life of our own, and we live in MD.

Somehow, the fact that I've started blogging and asking her opinion on the youtube videos I created resulted in a stronger bonding experience for us. She's actually really fun to talk to, even about girly makeup and other stuff, which really shouldn't surprise me because she has three daughters and her entire life is all about girly stuff for the most part!

My sister also writes and creates videos to review products when she has some time. The very first video I saw her do, however, was for a contest related to Coca Cola and Crowdtap. That was an eye-opening experience for me because it was through that video that I discovered how very similar our mannerisms were when speaking or otherwise expressing ourselves. We both have relatively serious dispositions but we do have our super goofy, silly sides as well.

I am committed to making the effort, at LEAST once a month, to spend some real one-on-one time with her, away from our hubbies and our kids. I know we can help each other in more ways than one if/when we stay connected and spend some quality time. I'm actually really, really looking forward to that!!

(Please support my sister on her blog http://rapowell.blogspot.com/ and youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rareyes1228)

While speaking to her, we were giving each other ideas about what we can write about in our respective blogs. The goal is to inspire each other to write more frequently by choosing similar or the same topics and commit to writing about them around the same time. This week's topic, though not very serious, is our favorite TV shows...

MY favorite TV show is MasterChef.

I love this show for several reasons. One, Gordon R. isn't constantly cursing and upset on this show. In fact, he's not even the "mean" one on the show at all. That role has been taken by Joe B., who actually can be overly brutal in his criticism, tear your hopes and dreams to shreds, and break you down to tears, without even raising his voice. That takes MasterSkill. I know I shouldn't like that because sometimes he does go way, way overboard, almost like he purposely keeps going until he has seen a few tears drop before he stops, and it makes me feel super sorry for the people he's criticizing, but still...

This is the only reality-competition show that actually makes me cry nearly every single time. Some of the contestants have literally quit their day jobs and are so riding on this show to change the whole course of their lives! And I love that most of the people who compete are regular stay at home moms and dads and regular people with nine-to-five jobs who also happen to love cooking as well.

And some of the contestant reactions!!! They are sometimes among the most heartbreaking I've ever seen. I don't necessarily "like" to see that, but it does move me to tears as well. In other words, I love this show because it moves me, and though they don't even show anything about what happens behind the scenes, there's something about the way this show is done that makes you really, really love a contestant or really really dislike one...and that's right up my alley; no luke-warmness for me:)

My favorites this year are Monti, Christine and Frank. I did like and was rooting very much for Josh consistently before he was eliminated - I didn't think he should have been included in the challenge that got rid of him in the first place - however, when he was brought back after winning a second chance challenge, something about his personality had become ugly, and I don't like it. I don't like to see "bitterness" in a man, which is what I think is behind the new ugliness due to his being unfairly eliminated in the first place. It makes him look weak.

Frank...sigh...okay, I will admit that one of the reasons I like Frank is because he's pretty darn good looking. I won't use the words "hot as he**" out of respect for my husband and Jesus:). But, what really makes me like him is that he is a quietly confident contestent. He exudes total confidence, but he cooks his butt off to back it up. He also seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, and seems trustworthy in that I believe he will ensure that if/when he gets his chance to run a restaurant, it will succeed.

Monti...one of the reasons I love me some Monti is that she is CONSTANTLY proving people wrong!!! Even I will sit there thinking, "How in the world is she going to pull this off? She's a stay at home mom!" and she just nails the tasks put before her pretty much every freakin' time!! I love how driven and focused she is, too. She's got a little bit of a "mouth" on her sometimes, but her attitude is one of the other reasons I love her. She isn't "catty" and she doesn't dislike people or say negative things about people just for the sake of saying them. She's usually REACTING to the crap people say about her - I'm not saying that that's "okay," but still...She seems to be extremely in love with her son, Danger, too; and, I love that she goes out of her way to cook for him in the way that she says she does. I love her look as well; she almost looks like one of those 50's moms with her red lipstick and big hair. Love, love, love me some Monti!

Christine...I mean, HELLO? She's freakin' blind and still delivers amazing food! She hasn't been too consistent lately, however, so I worry she won't be around too much longer; but, how can you not truly admire someone who refuses to be counted out or discouraged by her handicap?

My prayer is that one of the three people above win the whole thing this year. I'd be completely happy with either one of them. And for those that don't win, I truly hope and pray and will continue to hope and pray even after the show is over that they will succeed in achieving their culinary goals! They each most assuredly deserve it!

Until Next Time,

XOXOXO

Mrsmorphosis

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I just love and appreciate how descriptive you are in your writing! Yes, I am and always will be a work in progress, especially as it pertains to my writing! You are a true inspiration, thank you for agreeing to collaborate with me, it means a lot!! Love you sis, xoxo

    ReplyDelete